Wednesday, March 12, 2008

We can do this........

After a short nap we head back down to the calf pens determined to get this horse back to where she's supposed to be. We load up on the 4-wheeler (only one crank this time!) and head to the back pasture. There she is strollin' around in her new shoes dirty as can be. I grab the feed bucket and the harness and head in her direction all the while Caleb is yelling that I need to "bounce" the feed bucket so that she can "hear" the feed and I do....I mean he is a cowboy and all so he's sure to know what he's talking about! We (the horse and I) begin moving towards each other and before you know it her nose is deep in the feed bucket and she's just a chowin' down....I'm beginning to think this is a pig and not a horse! The second she comes up for air I place the harness over her nose and behind her ears and finagle some sort of knot in this thing that doesn't have a proper closure device. We walk toward the 4-wheeler and Caleb holds on to her while I put the feed trough back in with the calves and secure the fence (with a piece of wire about a foot long that I have to twist and twist and twist) yet another defective closure device! We slowly head towards the front pasture....it didn't take long for me to realize how hard it is to drive a 4-wheeler less than 5 miles an hour with two kids (one in front, one in back) while leading a horse to greener pastures! We finally make it and while crossing over the electric fence wire laying on the ground we all realize by the bucking bronco act that she's doing that the electric fence is actually hot! No sooner do I get her settled down do I turn around to see that Caleb is about to go down the same path....Hello cowboy? Didn't you just see the horse step on that thing and go ape wild? Anyways, we got all the animals fed and taken care of and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW, you pore thang. Had to ride the dang 4 wheeler all that way. It must be a hunnert yards down there.

Git you some chickens....layin hens and some about fryin size. I can see you wringing chicken necks (easier if you do two at a time), pulling those feathers out and remvoing entrails (gutting for those less squemish). Anyway, fryem up, dig some taters and make some cream graby to go all over everything and I'll come have sunday dinner one o' these days.
Pop

Michael Huckabay said...

looks like m6y "lil" girl has turned true country!!!! I know you are one heck of a mom, wife and still the brightest spot in my life. Truly a gift from God you were! I love you, Dad

Fire Ants..... bite....

Fire Ants..... bite....
That's just crazy...

Yo! Adrienne!!!!